Structural Line - define end conditions in separate group

Hi,

I was wondering if it’s possible to define end conditions for lines in a separate group which can later be controlled in CSM ?
I mean,
SLN 1 NPA 1 NPE 2 FIXA MM FIXE MM GRP 2
works, but I would like to remove the moment hinges from both ends of the line in a later construction stage and have integral connections with other lines.

Usually if there was a gap between this line and adjacent lines, I would create a link between the two points using SPTS and give different groups for each spring and activate them at various CSM stages, but I was wondering if it’s possible to directly define a hinge at beam ends as it is and later remove it in CSM ?

Hope I made sense.

Warm Regards,
Aravind.

Hi Aravind,

instead of defining the fixity of the line, you could apply those conditions to the SPTs used to define the SLN and assign a group to those.

Example:

SPT -100;    SPTP TYP MM GRP 10
    SPT -200;    SPTP TYP MM GRP 10

Dear Rpberge,

I was under the impression SPTP is used to define fixities (like supports / rigid links) and cannot be used to define hinges (or release of moments).

Could you please explain a bit more ?

Say I have 3 lines -
SLN 1 NPA 1 NPE 2
SLN 2 NPA 2 NPE 3
SLN 3 NPA 3 NPE 4

By default, the lines are connected at a single point so that point is fully rigid. How do I create a hinge at both ends of line SLN 2 such that I can deactivate them later in CSM ?

Aravind

You could try

SLN 1 NPA 1 2 XFLG MM $ This should release the fixity between neighboring SLNs

and then use the method I described above with SPTP. The Minus sign before the SPT number is necessary if you have already defined the point.

SPTP TYP MM GRP 10 $ In this example the Moment hinge is fixed and assigned to Group 10 which can be activated or deactivated in CSM at a later point

I should preface this by saying i havent used SLN … XFLG … with CSM before, so I can’t say if it works

SPTP without a REF will assign a support at that node, right ?

and SPTP with a REF will need two points (so I have to separate the lines and have 4 points for 2 lines instead of 3 points and 2 lines).

It shouldn’t be necessary to define multiple points for your structure lines.

Full Example Code:

SLN 1 NPA 1 NPE 2 XFLG MM
SLN 2 NPA 2 NPE 3 XFLG MM
SLN 3 NPA 3 NPE 4 XFLG MM
SPT -2
SPTP TYP MM GRP 10
SPT -3
SPTP TYP MM GRP 10

For your question about SPTP I’d recommend you look at the Handbook for SOFIMSHC 2.6.2