Stored elastic energy

Is there a way in sofistik to analyse the total ammount of stored elastic energy in the system?

I would like to see how much energy I build into the system during a bending active analysis and then to see how much energy that gets dissapated during a relaxation step.

Best,
David

Hello David

As far as I know you can display the strain energy in the Report Browser with the two commands ECHO STAT FULL and ECHO GRP FULL (see ASE manual chapter 3.37 ECHO -Output Control).

Apart from that it is possible to show the saved energy of each group in each step in the Result Viewer (But make sure to insert the above commands).

Result Viewer > Results > Groups > Total energy of group

Best regards
Frederik Höller
Your SOFiSTiK Support Team

1 Like

Hi @JFH,
I have further questions regarding the stored elastic energy. When I look at the results in the Results Viewer, I see that the elastic energy for group 2 is 0,0714 kNm. When I calculate the energy analytically however, I get something else. In the table below you can see to the very bottom right that I get an elastic energy of 0,000207kNm analytically. That calculation is based on the formula

M²/(2*EI)*L

I also calculate the energy in the rod as a function of the radius of curvature, following the formula

EI/(2*R²)*L

and that brings me to the same result.

What is ETOT in the results viewer acctually showing, and how is it calculated?
I am a bit confused since I can’t achieve those values analytically.

Would be very thankful if you could help me clarify this.

Best,
David

Hi @JFH,
It would be great if you (or someone else) could help me clear this out, thanks!