Sofiload on multiple beams

According to Sofiload manual chapter 3.1, you should be able to apply loads using FROM, TO and INC on the beam elements. However, after trying a hundred different syntaxes containing these three functions I can’t seem to get this to work. There is no mention of it in the example files either.

So, why doesn’t this work?

Please find my example file below:

+prog aqua urs:35.1
    head Materials
    MAT 1 E 35000 mue 0.3 gam 25
    SREC 1 H 1000 B 500 MNO 1

END
+prog sofimshc urs:35.2
    head Geometry
    SYST 2D GDIV 200000 GDIR NEGY
    CTRL MESH 1
    UNIT 6

loop#i 10
        SPT #i+1 X #i*1000 Y 0
    endloop

loop#i 9
        SLN #i+1 NPA #i+1 NPE #i+2 SNO 1 GRP 1
    endloop

SPT -1 fix pp
    SPT -10 fix pp

END
+prog sofiload urs:35.3
    head Load
        LC 1 TYPE 'NONE'
            BEAM FROM 1 TO 4 TYPE PG PA 10

END

This yields following error message:

+++++ error no.  2017 in program SL_IA_BEAM ; input line:    6
   No BEAM element found within 1 4 0

Kind regards

head Load
LC 1 TYPE ‘NONE’
BEAM sln 1 4 TYPE PG PA 10

END

This only applies load to SLN 1

head Load
LC 1 TYPE ‘NONE’
BEAM sln (1 4 1) TYPE PG PA 10

END

:slight_smile:

Perfect, thanks a lot. Funny that this is not obvious from the manual, but hey, why would it be, not a lot else is :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I think it is written in the manual:

BEAM works on single beam elements, the use on a structural lines SLN is an extension.

The ordinary syntax is “BEAM from to step” to operate on beam elements starting with number from until element number to and using step step. By the way, this is quite faster than BEAM (from to step)" which calls BEAM for each element separatly.

In your example you use from=‘sln’ and parameter to is the number of a SLN (like it is written in the manual). Parameter step is not used in this case.

My experience is, that CADINP-language of Sofistik is very powerful and allows me inputs in a clear way. But the consequence is, that if you do not have the full power of the language in mind, some input syntax looks strange.

Regards
gmay

1 Like