Nonlinear crack analysis

Hello everyone,

I’m trying to do a crack width analysis for an existing T-Beam bridge with Teddy in SOFiSTiK. For that purpose, I have already generated a QUAD model and defined the basic reinforcement with BEMESS using BSU/L. Now I’m struggling to perform a nonlinear analysis using ASE. I’m trying to analyze only the effects for the self-weight of the structure, but the iteration can’t find a solution.

Things I’ve already tried to get a better understanding:

• Instead of using my defined reinforcement, I used the reinforcement calculated in BEMESS for LC “DESI”

• I lowered the factor of gravity to about 50%, now the calculation finishes, and I get reasonable cracks

• I switched ITER to VAL 1 to use the Linesearch method instead of the Crisfield method. Now the iteration comes to an end, but this confuses me now even more as the calculated cracks with this method are much smaller than the cracks calculated using Chrisfield method at 50% gravity.

I hope someone can help me out, what key factors I have to follow when it comes to nonlinear analysis with SOFiSTiK. The goal is to compare calculated crack widths and directions of the model with the real structure and hopefully see some similarities.

Best

Martin

Hello Martin

Have you already seen our TEDDY Example Files?
For information about a material non-linear analysis of QUAD elements you should look at the example:

TEDDY > File > Examples > ase > english > nonlinear_quad > a1_introduction_example.dat

For general information about the SLS design workflow for QUAD elements check out the following example:

TEDDY > File > Examples > bemess > english > bemess1_all_sls_design_checks.dat

Best regards
Frederik Höller
Your SOFiSTiK Support Team