Grasshopper/Sofistik Optimization workflow

Hallo zusammen … Ich arbeite an meiner Master Thesis, in der ich das Sofistik Plugin in Grasshopper verwende, um ein parametrisches Modell einer Brücke zu erstellen und eine Optimierung des Querschnitts und der Abmessungen der Brücke durchzuführen.
Um das “Galapagos-Optimierungstool” in Grasshopper verwenden zu können, muss ich mein Modell automatisch nur durch Änderung der Parameterwerte und ohne Klick auf “Ausführen oder Berechnen in SSD” oder “Sofistik-Projektkomponente” ausführen lassen … Hier ist also meine Frage, wie ich diesen Arbeitsablauf erreichen kann, indem ich das erstellte Teddy-Skript automatisch ausführe, wenn ich die Parameterwerte in Grasshopper ändere. Es wäre nett von Ihnen, wenn Sie mich anleiten und mir Ihre Vorschläge mitteilen könnten … Vielen Dank

English Translation:
Hello everyone … I am working on my Master Thesis in which I am using Sofistik Plugin in Grasshopper to create a parametric model of a bridge and perform an optimization of the cross section and dimensions of the bridge.
In order to use “Galapagos optimization tool” in Grasshopper, I need to run my model automatically only by changing parameters’ values and without click on run or calculate in SSD or “Sofistik Project component” … So here is my question, how can I reach this workflow by running created teddy script automatically when I change parameters’ values in Grasshopper. It would be nice of you if you can guide me and give me your suggestions.

Hallo Taher,
In der Komponente “SOFiSTiK Project” gibt es im Kontext Menü (Rechtsklick) die Option “Auto Mode”.
Wenn diese aktiviert ist, erfolgt eine sofortige Neuberechnung sobald sich am Eingang der Komponente etwas ändert. Während der Berechnung wird die grasshopper gui blockiert. Wenn die Berechnung fertig ist, wird der Ausgang gesetzt. Im Grunde verhält sich die Komponente dann wie eine “normale” grasshopper Komponente die etwas länger braucht um ihren Output zu berechnen.
Ich hoffe ich konnte Ihnen damit weiterhelfen.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Emanuel Knapp

1 Like

Hallo Emanuel,

Das ist genau das, was ich brauche, aber ich habe die Option (Auto mode) in Menü nicht gefunden.
könntest du bitte ein screenshot machen?
Liebe Grüße

Hi Taher,
Hier ist der Screenshot.

Welche SOFiSTiK Rhino-Interface Version hast du bei dir installiert?
Die “Auto Mode” Funktion sollte ab Version 2020-6 verfügbar sein.
Schöne Grüße

Achsooo … bei mir habe ich Version 2020-5.1
Deswegen habe ich es nicht … ich danke dir sehr :slight_smile:

Wow, this is great! I have a question though. If I would like to Galapagos with Sofistik, like you are, then wouldn’t I need to be able to get some values back into grasshopper from Sofistik? I do not believe this is possible with the current Sofistik GH package, so I am curious if/how you achieved this. I hope to hear back from you!

Best,

Grant

Hello Grant,
Actually, as you said, getting values and results back from Sofistik to GH, it is not possible with current Sofistik GH package … but I overcame this problem by adding (+Prog Results) to my Teddy script, that exports required results from Sofistik in Excel sheets, Then I read those Excel sheets using (ReadExcel) component in Grasshopper … and that is how I got results from Sofistik model into Grasshopper again … Maybe it is not the smartest solution but that how I did it … Hope it helps :slight_smile:

Thanks, Taher! I can’t wait to try this out and see if I can get it working. Good luck with your thesis.

Best,

Grant

Hello,

Is there an another way to getting some values back from Sofistik to feed galapagos ? Recently I am reading force value and exporting it to the excel sheet and read that value from excel sheet again. It takes time… I tried also cdb database (with grasshopper’s python component ) but I couldnt make it.

ibrahim

In my experience, using SOFiSTiK in combination with Galapagos is relatively slow. I always have used Karamba3D because of the speed. It was taking approx 1 second to create a mesh and to do the structural analysis when with SOFiSTiK process was 5 to 10 times slower.

My suggestion would be to use Karamba3D for preliminary optimization and then SOFiSTiK for more detailed analysis when some preliminary geometry from Karamba analysis is available

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestion…

Hello Everyone,

I’m trying the Sofistik optimization, I’m running a script (+Prog Results) and reading the data from it, but I’m not getting good results. I tried with Galapagos and Opossum. With Opossum I was able to write out the log file, from that it seems to me that the optimiser doesn’t wait for the result to come in, but reads the previous one.

The other strange thing, and maybe this is the mistake: I recorded the incoming data with Data Recorder and each of them is listed twice. Could it be that Grasshopper is reading the data twice and this is interfering with the optimization?
Any help would be appreciated.