Adding coupling elements after analysis

Hi,

I would like to add stiff coupling elements between designated nodes after the analysis is run but still keeping the deformed geometry and the residual stresses, how do I do that?

Thanks in advance.

Best,
David

add coupling to another group, say no. 9. then calculate first loadcase without this group

+prog ase
head first case
grp - yes ; grp 9 off
lc 1 facd 1
end

then calculate second case with primary loadcase and activate grp no. 9

+prog ase
head second case
syst plc 1
grp - yes
lc 2 facd 1

if load in case 1 and case 2 are the same and you only add coupling, then forces in both cases will be the same, but if in second case you put additional loads, then the result will be as facd 1 load on structure without coupling grp 9 and difference between on lc 1 and lc 2 on full structure.

best regards, sb

thanks @asiloisad for your answer. This works indeed. This assumes however that I define my coupling elements already from the beginning (which probably works in my workflow after some adaptations). What I wanted to do however was to add the coupling elements between two nodes in a separate sofimsha or sofimshc, would that also be possible?

The same way I can change the support conditions of a node I would like to reference two nodes to one another.

Cheers,
david

Hello David

You can modify the geometry in a new SOFiMSHA or SOFiMSHC run with the following text input:

+prog sofimsha
head
syst rest
ctrl rest 2

end

Best regards
Frederik Höller
Your SOFiSTiK Support Team

Thanks @JFH for your answer.

Yes, but how would I do this more specific? Because the way I know how to define couplings is with SPT and SPTP, and then I need to assign coordiantes to the SPT. Is there a way of saying

SPT no 1000
SPTP no 1001

without defining coordinates?

thanks in advance.

If you define a coupling between two nodes, you don’t need to specify the coordinates.
If you want to use SOFiMSHA for the definition of a coupling, you can use the comand SPRI.

For more information see the SOFiMSHA / SOFiMSHC manuals and the TEDDY examples.

TEDDY > File > Examples > sofimsha / sofimshc > english > …

Thank you @JFH, that worked!