Sofistik CDB to Rhino Inverse Workflow

Hello,
I need to find a way to update my Rhino file based on the new cdb file that I generate. Here is exactly what I am doing.

1. Modelling everything in Rhino including assignment of cross sections and then exporting using the Rhino Sofistik Interface Export button. This creates aqua.dat and sofimschc.dat file which is read by SSD.
  2. Now I run the SSD file and get the results.

This is the usual procedure.

Now let’s say there are a bunch of beam elements (around 70-80) whose cross sections I decide to change in SSD (Step 2) using the command below.
+PROG SOFIMSHA urs:53.2
head
SYST REST
beam PROP NCS 150
MOD TYPE beam 41758 $Just doing 1 beam element here for testing
end
For simplicity I am presenting the code for just 1 beam element here.
I assign a cross section which is already defined in aqua but a different one, say CS1 was assigned in Step 1 and now I assign CS150 to it.

Now is there a way to update my Rhino model to reflect all these new cross sections, without having to do it manually, like selecting it from the drop down menu and changing it (see picture below). My understanding is that with the code above, the CDB file is already updated but the rhino model doesn’t reflect the change.
Please note that in wingraf the cross section shown is the updated one, hence my conclusion that cdb is updated.

Thanks,
Pinaki

@Nora , do you think you could help with this?

Hi Pinaki,

when you define a structure in Rhino, the data will be saved in the Rhino file and not in the CDB. Information such as structural elements will only be applied to the database, if you export it to the SSD. The only information which are synchronized directly are materials and cross-sections. A modification like you are doing in SOFiMSHA is a direct input to the CDB which can not be synchronized with the Rhino file. Even if you would do the modification with SOFiMSHC (modification of a structural line which will result in BEAM elements while exporting) the Rhino file can not be updated.

Rhino should be used for modeling in general, but if you want to modify something afterwards, you have to either remodel it correctly in Rhino and export it OR use a task such as your SOFiMSHA task.

By the way:
The same behavior applies to SOFiPLUS…

Cheers, Adrian

I see. Thanks for your reply!