Questions and comments about BDK

Hello everybody,
I have few questions and comments about using BDK module for stability of steel elements.

1. If we have warping torsion in element, is interaction with flexural and lateral-torsional buckling implemented in BDK? And if it isn’t, will it be implemented? New generation of EC3 will have new equation (it can be found in new Stahlbau kalender 2020), and EC3-6 for cranes have simplified interaction equation.

2. When you define lateral restraint, and choose analysis of both flexural and lateral-torsional buckling, that restraint will be active for both types of buckling. In large number of cases, especially for girders with large height, restraint on top flange (for LT buckling) can’t be considered to be restrain of whole section for flexural buckling. My opinion is that there must be separate definition of restraints, for each type of buckling.

3. English terminology in both module and manual of BDK in not with accordance to EC3 terminology. Flexural buckling is named Lateral in BDK, Lateral-torsional buckling is named Torsional in BDK, and interaction of flexural and lateral-torsional buckling is named Lateral-torsional buckling in BDK. For clearance it should be matched with EC3.

Best regards,
NK

Hello Mr Kozarac

The theoretical background for our software is stated within the BDK manual and the verification benchmarks on our website.

SSD / TEDDY > Help > User Manuals > All Manuals… > BDK
www.sofistik.com > Infocenter - Overview > Documentation - Tutorials > Verification Benchmarks

If you have more in-depth questions, please contact the customer support.
Please make sure to illustrate your questions with suitable screenshots of the belonging Eurocode section.

Best regards
Frederik Höller
Your SOFiSTiK Support Team

Hello Frederik,
Thank you, I will contact customer support.

Best regards,
NK

1 Like