Question about Section Capacity?

The example here refers to \csm.dat\english\more\csm31_design_aashto_metric.dat

1. The term “Design Capacity XXX” in the Graphic is misleading. They looks like “Section Capacity”, but the correcponding teddy code (csm31_design_aashto_metric_maxi.dat) shows that they are internal forces My under different load combinations, they are not “Section Capacity”.

1. The above csm31_design_aashto_metric_maxi.dat is created automatiacally by applying
+apply "$(NAME)_maxi.dat"

in the csm31_design_aashto_metric.dat. But the shear forces are not calculated in csm31_design_aashto_metric_maxi.dat. Do I have to manually add shear forces, VZ in the case, in the csm31_design_aashto_metric_maxi.dat? Like this

1. Where can I find “Section Capacpty” in the result (report, graphic)?

2. Can Sofistik show diagrams of both internal forces and the corresponding section capacities along structural member? Like this one from RM Bridge (TDV). How to achieve this?

3. The moving load will creat load envelop, eg. MaxN, MinN, MaxMy, MinMy. When checking longitudinal stress or calculating section capacity My, Does Sofistik use MaxN (MinN) or concurrent N?

Hello
add 1.
Design Capacity or Section Capacity I don’t know what is correct, but it is maximum ULS desing bending moment (taking into account the reinf. As and N force). In eurocode so-called “Mrd”, similar like here
add 4.
It is possible but it’s complicated. You have to do some acrobatics in wingraf … additional layers in graphic.
eg:
1.layer: Desing capacity Myi : LC max
2.layer: Bending moment My : LC max
similar for LC min …and when showing LC max supress negative zone and vice versa …and additional corection of colours…then you can get:

Thank you
Q1: Yes, I mean “Mrd” for moment capacity. How do you get this in Sofistik?
BTW: I think Eurocode also need to check shear, torsion capacity, how do you get them in Sofistik?
Q4: As for “and when showing LC max supress negative zone and vice versa …and additional corection of colours…then you can get:”. Is it possible to show me an example (teddy is perferred) file?

Q1:
It’s dificult to explain but in general, the design capacity you get if you run ULS desing in module AQB.
in teddy: DESI ULTI in module AQB…
Q4:
my case in module WING

MOVE DEL; MOVE 2 92 UNIT PR ALIG LEFT
TEXT "ULS- My/Mrd MAIN GIRDER AQB"
COLO C13 3005 -1; LC DESI 2101; BEAM DCMY SCHH NO UNIT 10000; AND
COLO C13 -1 3005; LC DESI 2102; BEAM DCMY SCHH NO UNIT 10000; AND
COLO C13 2001 -1; LC 2101; BEAM MY UNIT 10000; AND
COLO C13 -1 4001; LC 2102; BEAM MY UNIT 10000

LC max is 2101 and LC min is 2102

1 Like

COLO C13 2001 -1; LC 2101; BEAM MY UNIT 10000

Which part in the above code supresses negative zone?

I think -1 it’s the short version of colour input, the regular input shoud be:
COLO C13 2001 C14 -1
C13 positive results, value 2001 (red) C14 negative results, value -1 (no colour)
see also PDF help for graphic (F1 in teddy)

1 Like