Nonlinear Bedding to Quad Areas

Hi all,

one of my colleague showed me a feature within Sofistik that I did no know existed.
Essentially, if I wanted to perform a structural analysis for tension only bedding for quad elements (i.e. structural areas) but without limitation to the compression stress, there is no need to define a specific material bedding.
It is sufficient to perform a non linear springs and bedding analysis for the normal bedding defined in the quad definition. Is this correct?

I did tested this feature myself and effectively it seams to work, however in all the guides/tutorial/videos I’ve seen it is always mentioned that a specific material bedding must be defined (with non linear analysis) to allow for compression only.

Essentially, by default, for a non-linear analysis ASE will cut-off the tensile stress automatically if a normal bedding is defined. Is this also applied to the transverse bedding?

I tried to find the explanation in the manuals about this but with no success, could someone provide some refence of this in the manual?

Thanks.

Further to the above, how do I turn this feature off?
I understand I must use the GRP nnn VAL LINE command, but if I add it to my ASE run, it does not work.
Below my input.

+PROG ASE urs:22.1 $ Analysis of Combined Loads
HEAD Analysis of Combined Loads
PAGE UNII 0
CTRL OPT WARP VAL 0
SYST PROB nonl ITER 60 NMAT YES
GRP 101 VAL line
LC 1000
END

I get the following error

+++++ error no. 43 in program LOAD
Load or mass on node 1 loadcase 1000 not defined or node not activated.

Thanks.

Try;
Grp No - Val Yes
Grp No 101 Val Lin $ Same as Line but less printing

Normally you need to specify a default for all groups and then specifying single cases.

It worked with

GRP -
GRP 101 VAL LINE

Thanks for your reply.