Load model for abutments and walls adjacent to bridge

Hello,

I have a question regarding loads from traffic that affect bridge abutment walls and wing walls ( EN-1991-2; 4.9.1). I have uncertainties regarding which action should i use for this loads. As i understand these load should be combined simultaneously with loads from TS and UDL when traffic loads are dominant. I tried to assign this loads in action L and to set that GR_T, GR_U and L all have same partition Q_1 (Variable load group 1) but it does not seem that after superposition those loads are combined as same group. I also checked this with load tracing command for specific element, and loads with action L are multiplied with GAMU*PSI0 (for DESI COMB).

Thanks in advance.

Hello Nenad,

as I understand you want to combine the action GR (with categories T and U) and the action L in such a way that both are leading → only with GAMU.
This is not possible. The decision whether leading or accompanying is done action-wise. It means only one of these actions can be leading → GR with GAMU and L as accompanying with GAMU*PSI0.

As you wrote you have assigned GR_U and GR_T in the load group Q_1 and the action L also in a load group Q_1. It does not mean, that both actions act together as leading. Load groups act only action-wise → here one load group for GR and a second load group for L are available.

If the load cases of GR and the load case of L should act together, then only one action inclusive categories may be present. You can define it as follows:

• GR_T in load group Q_1
  • GR_U in load group Q_1
  • GR_L in load group Q_1 instead of action L

For further information about superpositions with load groups please note out Online Tutorial ‘Superposition of Load Groups’ which is available via TEDDY or SSD → Online Help → Tutorials → Superpositions.

With kind regards
Sabine Fahrendholz
Senior Product Manager

Thank you very much for help