Excentricity of loads in grasshopper

Good morning,

I would like to know if there is a simple way to load a bridge represented by its structural line (to which I affected the section of the girder) with a force that is not applied on the SLN, so to excentrate it from the SLN? (It might be possible by adding a moment, but I wonder if there’s a simpler way like the one in SOFiPLUS)
This load will be used for trafic loading for example.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best,

Christel SEMAAN

Hello Ms Semaan

As far as I know the command Line Load is applied directly onto a curve or a SLN.
In order to consider an eccentricity I would use a SOFiLAOD Box and create the Load by hand.
For example:

LINE SLN ‘1@30+Y’ PROJ N 2 TYPE PG P1 10 0 0 0 P2 10 5 0 0

Please have a look at the corresponding chapter within the SOFiLOAD manual.

SSD / TEDDY > Help > User Manuals > All Manuals… > sofiload > 3.18 LINE,CURV – Free Line Loading

Best regards
Frederik Höller
Your SOFiSTiK Support Team

Hello,
Thank you for answering my question.
Do you have any idea if it would be possible in that case to apply the Load onto SLN2 (or a curve) and link this one to an Axis or another SLN1 for example, so that the software understands that the load applied on SLN 2 belongs to SLN 1?

Thank you again in advance

Best regards,
Christel SEMAAN

I would try the methods on a simple example in SOFiPLUS(-X) and export the structure to .dat. With the generated TEDDY File you are able to understand the program behaviour.

SSD > Start > Database Tools > Export to DAT…

Use BEAM instead of LINE
You can apply is to a SLN with an eccentricity w.r.t. the SLN axis (EYA/EZA)

Alright, thank you.
One more question please: since I am exploring the gh_sofistik 2020 plugin, are these features also available in the SOFiSTiK-Grasshopper plugin? Because there is no “free load” nor the “excentricity” section in grasshopper’s componants.

Sorry, I don’t know. I work with the text input directly (teddy).

Sometimes I use sofiplus to “generate” the teddy code (as JFH suggested). As I understand it the teddy/cadinp code is the basis of all interaction with the program.
Using sofiplus/revit/rhino is just a graphic interface in between you and the code.

So I concur with JFH. You should definitely get familiar with the “original interface” (teddy/cadinp), if you want to really understand how the program “thinks”.

1 Like