How to model the bond between reinforcing bars and concrete

Hello,

I am new with the software. One student in my lecture wants to make a project in Sofistik, but I do not have the experience yet to figure out whether this is a good idea.
Is there a way to model and change the bond characteristics between concrete and reinforcing bars? For example, to simulate a pull-out experiment or to simulate a lap splice in a 3-point-bending test?

Thank you in advance

Hello Jose

The described simulations are not the main purpose of our software. Nevertheless, such an experiment can be simulated with a FE-Software such as SOFiSTiK.

I suppose you are going to use volume (BRIC) elements for the discretisation. In order to take the friction (bond between rebars and concrete) into account, you can attach spring elements between the individual components. For these spring-elements you can define a friction or cohesion.

SSD / TEDDY > Help > User Manuals > All Manuals… > SOFiMSHA > chapter 3.20 SPRI MUE COH

Perhaps your student could have a look at our TEDDY examples for BRIC elements.

TEDDY > File > Examples > sofimsha > english > …

So I recommend that you test the program functions and behaviour using a small example. Try to keep it simple :wink: . Since I don’t know your expectations of the experiment, I can’t tell you exactly whether SOFiSTiK is the best choice for your simulation.

Best regards
Frederik Höller
Your SOFiSTiK Support Team